fredag den 18. maj 2012

Mickey og Maurice

Maurice Sendak, født 1928 (ligesom fx Per Højholt), billedbogsmesteren bag bl.a. og frem for alt Where the Wild Things Are, døde i sidste uge, her et klip fra et 2009-interviwew i det nye nummer af New Yorker:

I was born in 1928. Same year as Mickey Mouse, but he made out better straight to Hollywood, straight to the cosmetic department. I did not approve of his buying into all that crap and letting his soul get despoiled. I remained poor and depressed, as a Brooklyn child should. Mickey wasn't depressed, but anyone who looked like thjt should have been. He became a schmuck, a very famous schmuck. And God knows I adored him¨, but I was a schmuck, too. I lived in Brooklyn. What else do you do in Brooklyn? You go to the movies, get away from the house, go to the Kingsway Theatre, which is just a block away from where you live. And you and your sister go to see every Merle Oberon, every Bette Davis - every movie. You just sit there and watch them over and over. And when the Mickey Mouse cartoon shows in between, you go crazy. Mickey Mouse brought something out in me that even analysis couldn't put back together again.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar