søndag den 5. juni 2011

Andy indynder sig påny

Af en eller anden grund står For A to B and Back Again: The Philosophy of Andy Warhol på hylden i sommerhuset, en i sjælden grad citerbar (quotable) bog, jeg bladrende genforelsker mig i:

I always think about what it means to wear eyeglasses. When you get used to glasses you don't know how you could really see. I think about all the people before eyeglasses were invented. It must have been weird because everybody was seeing in different ways according to how bad their eyes were. Now eyeglasses standardize everyone's vision to 20-20. That's an example of everybody becoming more alike. Everyone could be seeing at different levels if it weren't for glasses.

I always like to work with leftovers, doing the leftover things. Things that were discarded, that everybody knew were no good, I always thought had great potential to be funny. It was like recycling work. I always thought there was a lot of humour in leftovers. When I see an old Esther Williams movie and a hundred girls are jumping of their swings. I think of what the auditions must have been like and about all the takes where maybe one girl didn't have the nerve to jump off when she was supposed to, and I think about her left over on the swing. So that take of the scene was a leftover on the editing-room floor - an out-take - and the girl was probably a leftover at that point - she was probably fired - so the whole scene is much funnier than the real scene where everything went right, and the girl who didn't jump is the star of the out-take.

I'm a city boy. In the big cities they've set it up sp you can go to a park and be in a miniature countryside, but in the countryside they don't have any patches of big city, so I get very homesick.
Another reason I like the city better than the country is that in the city everything is geared to working. I like working better than relaxing. In the city, even the trees in the park work hard because the number of people they have to male oxygen and clorophyll for is staggering. If you lived in Canada you might have a million trees making oxygen for you alone, so each of those trees isn't working that hard. Whereas a tree in a treepot in Times Square has to make oxygen for a million people. In New York you really do have to hustle, and the trees know this too - just look at them. The other day on 56th Street, I was walking and I was looking at the new, sloping Solow Building across the street and I walked straight into a treepot. I was embarrassed because there was no way to carry it off. I just fell on top of this tree on West 57th beacuse I wasn't ready for it to be there.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar